Some people might not know that with a few simple instructions you can easily get access to your raspberry pi on your laptop.
Now, do you want to know how to connect raspberry pi with laptop? If so, then you are probably at the right place because this step-by-step guide will teach you how to set up raspberry pi on your laptop right away.
So, without further ado, let’s jump right into it!
- Step 1. Installing OS On The SD Card
- Step 2. Get Your WIFI Connection Running On The SD Card
- Step 3. Boot Up Your Raspberry Pi
- Step 4. Connecting Your Raspberry Pi With SSH
- Step 5. Installing VNC Server On Raspberry Pi
- Step 6. Install A VNC Viewer On Your Laptop To View Raspberry Pi
- Frequently Asked Questions:
Step 1. Installing OS On The SD Card
First things first, you should avoid the rookie mistake of not installing the Raspbian operating system installed on a blank SD card.
Well, so make sure to double-check that you have the OS installed on your SD card. If you have any difficulties in installing the OS on the SD card. Simply go to YouTube and you can get it done within minutes.
Step 2. Get Your WIFI Connection Running On The SD Card
In this step-by-step guide of how to connect raspberry pi to laptop windows 10, the second step is a little trickier so pay attention as I am walking you through it.
For accessing your raspberry pi via SSH terminal on boot, you will require it to be connected to a Wi-Fi network. For this purpose, you will need a WIFI connection to be set up on your SD card.
The steps on how to do that are written below
- Insert the SD card in your laptop and locate the /boot folder upon opening.
- Once you have located the folder, create a conf file inside the /boot folder.
- This file can store information related to connectivity networks like WIFI which is our main purpose.
- After the creation of the conf file you will need to add an empty SSH file in the /boot folder.
- When your raspberry pi will boot up on your laptop it will look for this exact empty file. Upon finding this file, it will easily enable the SSH terminal.
- In this way, you will achieve your goal of connecting your raspberry pi to your local WIFI network as this SSH will allow you to do so.
Once your WIFI is up and running on your raspberry pi most of the work is done. This leads us to step no 3 of how to connect raspberry pi with laptop. So without any further ado, let’s get going.
Step 3. Boot Up Your Raspberry Pi
Now is the time of connecting your raspberry pi with the laptop. Put back your SD card in the raspberry pi and turn it on.
Step 4. Connecting Your Raspberry Pi With SSH
Below is the step-by-step guide on connecting your raspberry pi with SSH.
- Firstly, you will have to locate the IP address of the raspberry pi on the network.
- Simply run, arp-a to see the IP addresses of all the other devices which are connected to your system.
- In this list, you can locate the IP address of your raspberry pi device.
- Connect to the raspberry pi via ssh [email protected][IP address of PI]. Now that you are in the system, you can reconfigure the password as per your likings. The default password however is most likely to be “raspberry”.
Step 5. Installing VNC Server On Raspberry Pi
Are you wondering how to connect raspberry pi to laptop Linux and view it on your laptop effortlessly? Well, for that you will be required to install a VNC server on your raspberry pi system.
This VNC server features a VNC viewer which allows remote viewership access of raspberry pi to a laptop.
You can install your desired VNC server on your raspberry pi.
Once you have your VNC server up and running. You will have to enable it as it is usually disabled. For that, you will have to follow the following steps.
- Type sudo raspi-config in your terminal
- A pop will appear on your screen. You will have to swipe and move to option 5 ” interfacing”
- Toggle down to “ P3 VNC”
- From the option here select “yes”
Step 6. Install A VNC Viewer On Your Laptop To View Raspberry Pi
You can easily download a VNC viewer on your laptop to view the raspberry pi system on your laptop.
Once, the VNC viewer is installed launch it and enter the IP address of your raspberry pi in the VNC server address column.
Configure the username by yourself or just go by default if you are in a hurry,
Once, you have logged in with the credentials you should be able to view your raspberry pi on your desktop.
You can also, read about How to Setup 3 Monitors on a Laptop?
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How do I display my Raspberry Pi on my laptop?
Follow our guide above to know all the tips and tricks on raspberry pi laptop connection. You will need to install WIFI on your raspberry pi as well as install a VNC server as well for this to work.
2. Can I connect Raspberry Pi 4 to a laptop with a USB?
Yes, you can connect your raspberry pi 4 to a laptop with a USB. However, to view the raspberry pi on the laptop you will have to follow our guide above.
3. How do I connect my Raspberry Pi 4 to my laptop?
You can connect raspberry pi to the laptop by installing a VNC server on your raspberry pi system. Furthermore, you will also have to install a VNC viewer on your laptop to view the raspberry pi on your laptop.
4. Does the Raspberry Pi 4 have Wi-Fi?
Yes, the raspberry pi 4 comes with a dual-band WIFI.
5. Can I use my laptop screen as a monitor for Raspberry Pi?
Yes, you can use your laptop screen as a monitor for raspberry pi. For this, you will have to connect raspberry pi to a laptop by following our easy a pie configuration guide written above.
6. What are the disadvantages of Raspberry Pi?
The disadvantage of raspberry pi is that you have to go through a whole lot to get it installed on your desktop or laptop. It is quite a technical process. For details on how to connect raspberry pi 3 to a laptop check out this article.
There is a wide range of methods on how to connect a laptop keyboard to raspberry pi so that you can start programming exciting things.
However, the one method which I have shared with you today easily stands out as it is a permanent fix.
This will allow you to view your raspberry pi on your laptop and do everything with it as per your desire. You will not be needing to head out and spent a couple of hundred bucks on an entirely new setup for your raspberry pi.